Introduction: Dengue Virus (DENV) is the pathogen for human dengue fever and is responsible for 390 million infections per year. The viral genome produces about 10 viral protein products, one of them being NS1. The NS1 protein plays a key role in viral replication and stimulation of humoral immune cells, thus being the perfect candidate to create an effective antiviral drug or vaccine for dengue
Methods: Dengue Virus (DENV) is the pathogen for human dengue fever and is responsible for 390 million infections per year. The viral genome produces about 10 viral protein products, one of them being NS1. The NS1 protein plays a key role in viral replication and stimulation of humoral immune cells, thus being the perfect candidate to create an effective antiviral drug or vaccine for dengue
Conclusion: The review established promising results of using peptide-based intervention on NS1. Further in vivo and randomized controlled trials are advised to solidify the applicability and biosafety of the intervention
2. Harapan H, Michie A, Mudatsir M, Sasmono RJ, Imrie A. Epidemiology of dengue hemorrhagic fever in Indonesia: analysis of five decades data from the National Disease Surveillance. BMC Res Notes. 2019; 12: 350
3. Songprakhon P, Thaingtamtanha T, Limjindaporn T, Puttikhunt C, Srisawat C, Luangaram P, et al. Peptides targeting dengue viral nonstructural protein 1 inhibit dengue virus production. Sci Rep. 2020; 10: 12933
4. Płaszczyca A, Scaturro P, Neufeldt CJ, Cortese M, Cerikan B, Ferla S, et al. A novel interaction between dengue virus nonstructural protein 1 and the NS4A-2K-4B precursor is required for viral RNA replication but not for formation of the membranous replication organelle. PLOS Pathogens. 2019; 15(5): e1007736–. doi:10.1371/journal.ppat.1007736
5. Jacobs MG. Dengue virus nonstructural protein 1 is expressed in a glycosyl-phosphatidylinositol-linked form that is capable of signal transduction. The FASEB Journal. 2000; 14(11): 1603–10.
6. Kao Y-S, Yu C-Y, Huang H-J, Tien S-M, Wang W-Y, Yang M, et al. Combination of Modified NS1 and NS3 as a Novel Vaccine Strategy against Dengue Virus Infection. The Journal of Immunology. 2019 Aug 26;203(7):1909–17.
7. Modhiran N, Watterson D, Muller DA, Panetta AK, Sester DP, Liu L, et al. Dengue virus NS1 protein activates cells via Toll-like receptor 4 and disrupts endothelial cell monolayer integrity. Science Translational Medicine. 2015 Sep 9;7(304):304ra142–2.
8. Chen J, Ng MM-L, Chu JJH. Activation of TLR2 and TLR6 by Dengue NS1 Protein and Its Implications in the Immunopathogenesis of Dengue Virus Infection. Kuhn RJ, editor. PLOS Pathogens. 2015 Jul 30;11(7):e1005053.
9. Glasner DR, Puerta-Guardo H, Beatty PR, Harris E. The Good, the Bad, and the Shocking: The Multiple Roles of Dengue Virus Nonstructural Protein 1 in Protection and Pathogenesis. Annu Rev Virol. 2018; 10–101416.
10. Scaturro P, Cortese M, Chatel-chaix L, Fischl W, Bartenschlarger R. Dengue Virus Non-structural Protein 1 Modulates Infectious Particle Production via Interaction with the Structural Proteins. PLoS Pathog. 2015 Nov 12; 11(11):e1005277.
11. Huang Y, Lee C, Wang T, Kao Y, Yang C, Lin Y, et al. The Development of Peptide-based Antimicrobial Agents against Dengue Virus. Curr Protein Pept Sci. 2018 Oct; 19(10): 998–1010.
12. Chew MF, Poh KS, Poh CL.Peptides as Therapeutic Agents for Dengue Virus. Int J Med Sci. 2017; 14(13):1342-1359.
13. De La Guardia C, Lleonart R. Progress in the identification of dengue virus entry/fusion inhibitors. Biomed Res Int. 2014; 2014:825039.
14. Alen MM, Schols D. Dengue virus entry as target for antiviral therapy. J. Trop. Med. 2012; 2012:628475
15. Rokom. Data Kasus Terbaru DBD di Indonesia [Internet]. Kementerian Kesehatan RI; 2020 [cited 2021 Apr 18]. Available from: https://sehatnegeriku.kemkes.go.id/baca/umum/20201203/2335899/data-kasus-terbaru-dbd-indonesia/
16. Bhakat S, Karubiu W, Jayaprakash V, Soliman ME. A perspective on targeting non-structural proteins to combat neglected tropical diseases: Dengue, West Nile and Chikungunya viruses. Eur. J. Med. Chem. 2014;87:677–702
17. World Health Organization. Dengue guidelines, for diagnosis, treatment, prevention and control. World Health Organization; 2009
18. Norazharuddin H, Lai NS. Roles and Prospects of Dengue Virus Non-structural Proteins as Antiviral Targets: An Easy Digest. Malays J Med Sci. 2018 Sep; 25(5): 6–15.
19. Cervantes-salazar M, Angel-ambrocio AH, Soto-acosta R, Bautista-carbajal P, Hurtado-monzon AM, Alcaraz-estrada S, et al. Dengue virus NS1 protein interacts with the ribosomal protein RPL18: This interaction is required for viral translation and replication in Huh-7 cells. Virology. 2015; 484: 113-26
20. Songprakhon P, Thaingtamtanha T, Limjindaporn T, Puttikhunt C, Srisawat C, Luangaram P et al. Peptides targeting dengue viral nonstructural protein 1 inhibit dengue virus production. Scientific Reports. 2020;10(1).
21. Stevens A, Gahan M, Mahalingam S, Keller P. The Medicinal Chemistry of Dengue Fever. Journal of Medicinal Chemistry. 2009;52(24):7911-7926.
22. Akey D, Brown W, Dutta S, Konwerski J, Jose J, Jurkiw T et al. Flavivirus NS1 Structures Reveal Surfaces for Associations with Membranes and the Immune System. Science. 2014;343(6173):881-885.
23. Chen H, Lai Y, Yeh T. Dengue virus non-structural protein 1: a pathogenic factor, therapeutic target, and vaccine candidate. Journal of Biomedical Science. 2018;25(1).
24. Rathore APS, Paradkar PN, Watanabe S, Tan KH, Sung C, Connolly JE, et al. Celgosivir treatment misfolds dengue virus NS1 protein, induces cellular pro-survival genes and protects against lethal challenge mouse model. Antiviral Research. 2011;92(3):453-60
25. Low JG, Sung C, Wijaya L, Wei Y, Rathore APS, Watanabe S. Efficacy and safety of celgosivir in patients with dengue fever (CELADEN): a phase 1b, randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled, proof-of-concept trial. The Lancet Infectious Diseases. 2014;14(8):706-15